A hearty meal packed with protein, fibre and fresh yummy veggies. It's also low in salt and delicious. Spicy seasonings allow you to use less salt without even noticing. The black bean filling can also be used alone as a bean dip or bottom layer with salsa and sour cream nacho dip. It can also be spread between two tortillas with cheese to make a delicious quesadilla. This recipe takes just 30 minutes, experiment and make it your own.
2 Tbsp olive oil
medium onion, diced
small sweet potato, peeled, diced (about 1 cup)
1 can black beans, rinsed (about 2 cups)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp chili flakes or 1/2 jalapeno
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp chili powder or chili seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne *more if you like it spicy
fresh ground pepper to taste
Toppings: avocado, tomato, cucumber, greens, hot sauce, sour cream or plain yogurt, grated cheese
1. Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat sweet potato in microwave for 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic, potato, chili flakes to pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add beans, vinegar, chili powder, cayenne, pepper. Cook for 3 minutes more.
5. Mash beans and potatoes slightly with a "potato masher"
6. Spread bean mixture in a line on a tortilla and line up toppings beside. Roll it up and enjoy!
Much love and good eating,