Meals that use eggs in a yummy and creative way, are a great way to help you to eat more vegetarian. Eggs are a great source of protein, are filling and are only 70 calories each! All of the saturated fat and dietary cholesterol is found in the yolk of an egg. There is research to show that we should limit the amount of these fats in our diet - so if you find yourself eating eggs often, double up on the whites and stick to one yolk per meal.
Warm Artichoke, Asiago & Spinach Quiche
Ingredients8 medium pastry shells
1 cup marinated artichokes, diced
2 cups spinach, chopped
4 eggs (whole) and 4 egg whites
1/4 cup plain soy (or cow's) milk
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp cayenne
freshly ground pepper
1 cup asiago cheese, shredded, seperated
1. Heat spinach in microwave for 30 seconds to wilt.
2. Spread out shells on large baking sheet. Evenly distribute artichokes and spinach into each cup.
3. Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, and herbs/spices together in a large measuring cup or bowl. Once well combined add 1/2 of shredded cheese.
4. Pour egg mixture evenly into each pastry shell. Top with additional cheese.
5. Bake in oven at 375° for 25 minutes or until eggs are cooked and shell is lightly browned.
6. Serve warm with roasted sweet potatoes or other roasted vegetables and salad.
Much love & good eating,