Last week I was blessed to have a night with some girlfriends to roll up some sushi, fry some veggie spring rolls and talk about life. The recipe we used is below.
Homemade sushi is a super easy thing to make. Since each roll is made individually, this is a good recipe to prepare with someone who just can't shake their meat habit... yet! You can use lots of different ingredients for your sushi, be creative and then share what you did, so we can all try it.
Vegetarian Maki (Rolls)
fillings, all sliced in long strips
soy sauce and wasabi for dipping
Some examples of fillings are - marinated tofu (baked), sweet potato (baked), cucumber (raw) , orange pepper (raw or roasted), asparagus (roasted or pan-fried), shredded carrots (raw or cooked), sunflower or bean sprouts.
- Add 1 cup sushi rice and 2 cups water to a rice cooker. Turn switch to "heat". Rice is ready when switch flips down to warm. To cook on the stove follow directions on package. This amount of rice makes 8 rolls.
- Using a table spoon, scoop two heaping spoonfuls of rice onto seaweed sheet. Spread into a thin layer using the back of the spoon. Cover 2/3 of the seaweed.
3. Add toppings of choice in long line across the edge of the seaweed with rice on it.
4. Lift the edge of the seaweed and start to roll making sure to hold and tuck the line of ingredients into the sushi. Make sure to roll slowly so that the warm rice starts to heat the seaweed and make it more flexible. Also make sure to roll tightly - cutting into pieces will be much easier.
5. Once you have a nice long roll, using a very sharp knife, cut into small, bite-size pieces.
Serve with the spinach mushroom spring roll recipe below.
Sweet potato, tofu & asparagus sushi
Spinach & Mushroom Spring Rolls
Makes about 8 spring rolls
1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
3 green onions, chopped finely
One large bunch spinach, chopped (about 2 cups)
2 large carrots, grated (about 1 cup)
10 cremini mushrooms, chopped
Spring roll wrappers
***Note: to make gluten-free, use rice paper rolls
Canola or peanut oil for frying spring rolls
Sweet chili or plum sauce for dipping
1. Microwave grated carrots for 2 minutes on high.
2. Meanwhile, warm oil, vinegar and tamari in pan at medium heat. Add onion and garlic, saute for 2 minutes. Add carrots, mushrooms and spinach. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until soft. Remove from heat.