This recipe is really easy and delicious. Pecans & chickpeas for protein, mushrooms for meatiness, parnsips & carrots for substance, oh my! Once you combine the ingredients together you can form them into little patties like the images here and use them in a wrap (like falafel) on a sandwich (like a meatball sub) or form them into large flat patties and eat like a burger. Then you can either pan-fry in a little oil or bake. Any way you do it, they will be delicious! Add your favourite toppings, cheese, veggies, etc. and condiments and enjoy. You won't even realize they are a healthy alternative to meat!
4 (3 cups) parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 (1 cup) carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 cup chickpeas, mashed
1 cup pecans, crushed
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup large flake oats
1/4 cup flax seed *optional
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp basil
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp parsley
2 Tbsp olive oil (more if you're pan-frying)
1/2 cup milk
1. Add parsnips and carrots to pot of boiling water and cooking until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, add chickpeas and milk to a large boil and mash (with potato masher). The liquid helps mash more easily. Add eggs, olive oil, mushrooms, flour, oats, pecans and seasoning.
*** To crush pecans, place whole in a plastic bag (i.e. ziploc) and use a rolling pin to crush and flatten.
3. Once parsnips and carrots are cooked, drain liquid and mash. Add to large bowl with other ingredients. Mix everything together.
4. Form small patties or large patties. Note: the mixture will be quite moist - that's ok, it will make for a moist - not dried out - patty.
5. Fry on medium-high heat 3-4 minutes per side OR bake in the oven at 400 degrees farenheit for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway.
A delicious sauce for these babies - try mixing plain yogurt, sweet chili sauce, hot sauce and lemon. mmmmmm.... so good! This recipe was inspired by one from a cool cookbook called "Cooking Vegetables", no author, Whitcap publishing. Homesense $7.99 - amazing! I love finding inspiration from reading hundreds of recipes!
Much love & good eating,