1. Heat 8 cups of water and add two vegetable bouillon cubes. OR use 4 cups pre-made broth and 4 cups water. Keep broth warm over low heat.
2. Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and saute for 4 minutes more.
3. Add rice to pot and stir for 4 minutes. Add white wine and simmer until almost all wine is absorbed by rice.
4. Gradually add vegetable broth, 1/2 to 1 cup at a time to rice. Keep at a simmer (medium-low heat) and stir frequently (every 30 to 60 seconds). You do not need to stir continuously but make sure to stir often to prevent the rice from burning on the bottom of the pot.
5. Cook chopped squash in a large glass bowl for 10 minutes in the microwave. Stir every 2 1/2 minutes. Add to risotto after 15 minutes of cooking. Add the thyme, rosemary and black pepper.
6. Once rice has absorbed all of the broth, mix in Grana Padano cheese. Most recipes state the perfect risotto takes 22 minutes to cook. Rice should be creamy and cooked through, but a bit al dente (a little firm).
Much love & good eating,