This delicious cold-weather meal is so tasty, you'll forget your not eating meat!
Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie with green salad
Makes 4 servings.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 hot, red banana pepper, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 small zucchini, sliced
2 cobs corn
1 pack vegetarian ground round
3 medium white potatoes OR 8 red potatoes
1 Tbsp plain yogurt OR low-fat sour cream
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp margarine
1/2 tsp black pepper
Cheddar cheese, grated
Step One (Mashed potatoes)
1. Dice potatoes and place in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 12 to 14 minutes, stopping to stir potatoes twice. When a fork goes in easily, the potatoes are done.
2. Add yogurt, milk and margarine, and pepper. Mash potatoes until smooth.
Step Two (Cooked corn off the cob)
1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add corn. Cook for 4 minutes.
2. Remove pot from stove. Run cold water into pot for several minutes. Allow the corn to cool.
3. With a large knife, cut corn off of cob by slicing down the side of the cob.
Step Three (Ground round stir-fry)
1. Microwave or steam carrots for 4 minutes or until soft.
2. Heat oil on stove top in a deep-dish pan on medium heat. Add hot pepper and saute for 2 minutes. Add cooked carrots and zucchini. Saute for 3-4 minutes, until zucchini is softened.
3. Add ground round and corn. Saute for 3-4 minutes until heated throughout.
1. Spoon the ground round mixture into bottom of a loaf pan. Press down with a spoon so packed fairly tightly.
2. Spoon mashed potatoes on top of ground round. Spread evenly.
3. Top with grated cheddar cheese.
4. Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes or until cheese is slightly crisp.
Serve with fresh greens. Top with pea shoots, crunchy sprout mixture, avocado and tomato. Pour yourself a love glass of wine and enjoy!
Much love & good eating,