Tonight's Balanced Meal: Frittata with roasted potatoes and farm fresh green beans
Sundried tomato, spinach and goat's cheese frittata
2 tsp canola oil
3 green onions, diced
1/4 hot banana pepper, diced
1 medium or 1 cup yellow zucchini, chopped
2-3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
5 egg whites
6 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup goat's cheese
black pepper and Mrs. Dash
1. In a large, deep dish pan, saute green onions and banana pepper in canola oil on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add zucchini to pan and saute for another 3 minutes.
3. Add spinach to pan, cover with lid and turn heat to low (about 3 on stove). Cook for about 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Remove from burner and let cool - about 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and egg whites. Add fresh pepper, (4 to 8 turns of a pepper grinder) and Mrs. Dash seasoning (one sprinkle).
NOTE: Mrs. Dash is a salt-free seasoning blend that is great for quick added flavour. I recommend the herb & garlic one for this recipe.
5. Add vegetables to eggs. Pour into a greased (with canola oil) round, cake pan or other oven-safe pan. Sprinkle with sundried tomatoes and goat's cheese.
6. Bake in oven at 400 for 25 minutes. Turn oven on broil for the last 3 to 5 minutes and monitor so the top does not burn.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Use spatula to remove frittata from baking dish and place on cutting board. Cut into 4 to 6 pieces.
4 medium new or red potatoes
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Dice potato and place in a microwavable bowl.
2. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking time.
3. Remove from bowl and place in baking tray or dish.
4. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and 2 sprinkles Mrs. Dash (Extra Spicy). Stir.
5. Add to oven at same time as frittata. Cook for 25 minutes, broiling near end of cooking time.
Chili Garlic Green Beans
1 tsp canola oil
2 cups green beans
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili in oil OR
1/2 tbsp dried chili OR
1/2 fresh chili
1. Wash green beans and cut off the ends.
2. Saute garlic and chili in canola oil on medium heat (about 5) for 3 minutes.
3. Add green beans and saute on medium for 10 minutes.
Much love & good eating,