Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hi everyone & welcome!

I have created this blog to discuss my adventures in being a semi-vegetarian. During my life, thus far, I have leaned towards meatless meals that include yummy things like beans, lentils, eggs, roasted veggies, cheese, tofu, nuts, seeds and other meatless alternatives. I try to eat whole foods as much as possible and eat processed foods as little as possible. So after my body totally rejected vegetarianism this year when I tried to cut out meat, I decided to become meat-free on a part-time basis, Monday to Friday vegetarianism if you will. I eat mostly fish or chicken when I choose meat, but it makes it easier to eat when visiting friends and family.

As a registered dietitian I know WAY too much about healthy eating, good foods, and nasty foods. Although research can be controversial and there are many studies showing both sides of an argument, much research shows that vegetarians are healthier than carnivores. Vegetarians and vegans may have a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and some cancers. They are more likely to be a healthy weight, however for many it is tough to give up meat completely. Our society relies heavily on meat products and meat based meals - many people eat meat 2 to 3 times each day! This is simply too much.

My personal belief is that we would all benefit from eating a little less meat and eating a few more non-meat meals each week.

Being a Monday to Friday Vegetarian allows me to eat the foods I love, stay healthy and reduce my impact on the environment. I'm happy and it makes me feel good! I invite you to make your own rules to eating meat-free. Try to do it at least a couple days each week.

Thanks for joining me as I blog about my successes, obstacles and yummy dishes I find on the way to being a Monday to Friday vegetarian. I will share thoughts, research, nutrition knowledge and recipes on this journey. Stay tuned!

Much love & good eating,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment