This week I was thinking of a BBQ recipe that I could do completely without turning on my oven or stovetop. Mushrooms are fantastic on the grill, so naturally I worked out a BBQ recipe that included them. This stuffed mushroom recipe won't take you very long and is absolutely delicious. Try it tonight!
Stuffed portobella mushrooms with kale, feta and a green bean salad
Makes 2 servings
4 portobella mushrooms
6 kale and/or collard leaves
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup light feta cheese
3 cups green beans
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1 Tbsp good quality olive oil
a few leaves of fresh basil
salt & pepper
a few slices of lovely bread, like potato chive or rosemary foccacia
1. Clean mushrooms and remove the stem & gills (the ruffles underneath). Rub with olive oil.Wash and remove the tips of green beans and place in a small aluminum or other BBQ safe pan. Slice bread and drizzle with olive oil.
2. Chop kale, collards and pumpkin seeds very finely. You can also use a food processor to do this quickly and easily. Combine the greens and seeds with 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. Set aside. Slice cherry tomatoes in half, place in a seperate bowl and set aside.
3. Place green beans and mushrooms on grill. Toss green beans every 1-2 minutes until tender-crisp, do not over cook. Once done set-aside. Flip mushrooms after they have cooked for 5 minutes on one side. Add your bread to the grill once the mushrooms are flipped.
4. Pour out excess liquid from inside of the mushroom cap. Place green stuffing gently on top of the mushroom and top with crumbled feta cheese. Close BBQ to allow to melt. Make sure to not overtoast bread - turn one side of BBQ off and hold warm if needed.
5. Meanwhile, slice beans into 1 inch pieces and toss with the tomatoes, a little olive oil, fresh basil, salt & pepper. Top your BBQ crustini (bread) with a mushroom and enjoy with a side of this fresh, lovely salad.
Much love & good eating,
NUTRITION INFORMATION: (per two mushroom serving with salad) Kcal: 610; Fat: 25 g; PRO: 35 g; CHO: 49 g; Fibre: 14 g
For personalized plans and help with healthy eating, check out my nutrition services at http://www.wholefoodtherapy.ca/