This veggie-chili is a delicious, hearty meal to have when you need some comfort food. The seasonings are perfect if you like a spicy chili! Don't be intimidated by the long ingredient list and feel free to add or substitute any of your favourite veggies.
Tempeh is made with soy and makes a great, whole-food substitute for meat. It has the texture of feta cheese, so you can cut it into cubes or crumble it into smaller pieces. It is made with soy and comes in a variety of flavours. Tempeh is available at most health food stores and organic food markets.
Steph's Spicy Tempeh Chili
Makes 6 servings
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 banana pepper, diced
796 mL can of tomatoes
3 fresh tomatoes, diced
2 red peppers, diced
1 large green zucchini, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 can kidney beans
1 block tempeh
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
pinch of salt
- Add oil to a large pot and warm on medium heat. Add onion and simmer for 5 minutes. Add garlic and hot banana pepper, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add can of tomatoes. Fill can with water and add water to the pot. Add fresh tomatoes, red pepper, zucchini, carrots, and celery to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/medium-low and simmer for 30-35 minutes, until vegetables reach desired tenderness.
- Add spices in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Rinse beans in a colander and add to pot. Cut tempeh into long blocks and crumble into pot. Allow to cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve warm with grated cheddar cheese (optional) and garlic toast.
NEW! Nutrition Informtion:
|Calories (kcal)||317.3||Folate (DFE)||140.6|
|Fat (g)||12.7||Vitamin B6 (mg)||0.6|
|Protein (g)||16.9||Vitamin B12 (μg)||0|
|Carbohydrate (g)||40||Calcium (mg)||161.1|
|Sugar (g)||13||Iron (mg)||5.9|
|Fibre (g)||9.2||Sodium (mg)||346.2|
|Vitamin A (RAE)||301.3||Potassium (mg)||1213.2|
|Vitamin C (mg)||127.6|
|Vitamin D (μg)||0|
|Vitamin E (mg)||4.3|
Much love & good eating,